University of Leeds

University of Leeds

Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Cove and Beach- Sorrento

My favorite experience in Sorrento was going to Regina's Giovanna Baths, or as I like to call it, The Cove. It was accidentally discovered by Kyle while he was going on a run. It is unbelievable how he found it. He ran about a mile away from town and randomly turned down a cobblestone road that was maybe 6 feet wide and was walled on each side for about a half mile. I would have never kept going into such unfamiliar territory but I'm glad he had the nerve. I'm guessing it is one of Sorrento's low-key, hidden secrets.

The first time I went to The Cove was on a run with Rachel and Jamie. We soon realized Mike, Matt and Kyle weren't far behind. We all met up and explored the most beautiful scenery in Sorrento. The Cove is in the area known as the "Head of Sorrento" which is the furthest point on the coast that sticks out into the Mediterranean Sea. There is also Roman ruins of a villa that is right on the edge of the cliffs. The view from the top was absolutely breathtaking. The Cove has a natural arc that bridges over the sea and creates a waiting pool or bath in the middle. The water was a clear turquoise and the beach was covered in small pebbles.

On the opposite side of The Cove was large cliffs that dropped straight off to the sea. The boys, being absolutely crazy, jumped from the cliffs without even considering the depth of the water. Luckily it was deep enough and they were safe! A couple days later, 12 of us walked to The Cove to have our own exhilarating experience of cliff jumping in Italia. I was competely pumped about the whole idea until I got to the edge of the cliff. It was terrifying! But it was a once in a lifetime chance so I took the jump! And oh my gosh the water was freezing! We then cheered on every last person to take the leap and then we swam through The Cove and climbed out on the beach. This by far was my favorite experience in Sorrento... so invigorating!

One day I ran into the countryside and found a small fishing village with a beach. It was very picturesque and it perfectly portrayed how I imagined Italy. There were fishing boats on the shore and in the water, Italian restaurants at the base of the buildings with apartments on top, and clothes drying across every porch railing. The town was a little run down but absolutely exquisite at the same time. It is unbelievable how there can be so much beauty in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment