University of Leeds

University of Leeds

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Days Fly By!

It has been quite a while since I posted my last blog, but it's time to change that! I need to step up my game- it will be worth I'm sure. Now the hard part, where to begin?

I have been in Leeds for over a month, can you believe it? And I have finished 5 weeks of classes out of 11! I am settled in now and my life is becoming routine during the week but the weekends I spend traveling and exploring. A couple weekends ago I went to York with a group of my friends. I LOVED it! There was so much to do and see, I hope to go back in the near future. We went to the York Castle Museum which was amazing and filled with random things from England (including toilets, washing machines, carriages, clothes, etc). We ended up spending hours there! It was freezing that day so we made a few pit stops at small cafes. The first cafe we went to was for breakfast and I ordered a bacon roll. I had no idea what it was going to be but I was pleasantly surprised. It was simply bacon on a long baguette. English bacon is different than American, it is thick and more like ham. Pretty delicious I must add. At the second cafe (several hours later) I had the BEST hot chocolate of my LIFE... need I say more?

The city centre of York was all hustle and bustle... full of shoppers! We stopped to listen to a band in the main square, then we watched a crazy comedian that juggled and ate fire, then we ate lunch at a sausage stand! I have never heard people rave about English food but it is fantastic! Also on our trip we visited The Shambles, Newgate Market, and passed by York Minister. My trip was about 5 hours shorter than everyone else because I took the bus to York while the others road the train. With my student bus pass I was able to go to York for free instead of paying 10 pounds!

I am in England to "study" so I supposed I should talk about that! School is going great and I enjoy all of my classes except for Differential Equations. Its just not my thing, I prefer Algebra. One class that I surprisingly enjoy is Logic. NC State students say they HATE logic and it is hard class (it must be the teacher). It does get confusing but I find it quite interesting. Every week I have some sort of math homework due, a logic worksheet due, and sometimes an assignment in poetry. I turned in a 1500 word essay (which is a lot for me) this week and I am relieved to know it's only 1 of 2 I have to write this semester. I basically have NO work compared to the load I would have at State.

It's pretty nice having a lot of free time on my hands. Lately I've been going to the gym (conveniently placed in my dorm) and researching my traveling plans for Easter break! The first week of break I will be spending in a villa in Sorrento, Italy. Possibly followed by more traveling in Italy up through Rome and Florence. Then at the beginning of April MEGAN IS COMING! We are spending 3 nights in Leeds, 3 nights in London, and then 3 in Paris!!! That's a pretty sweet package, eh? I don't have any other plans set in stone thus far but hopefully I will make it to Spain!

1 comment:

  1. What a surprise!
    Just thought I'd check in this morning, not really thinking I'd find a new entry early on a Saturday. . . . but surprise . . . there was one! Not surprised that you posted since I know how busy you've been (thanks to SKYPE) . . . just surprised because it made me wink and smile ;-) I'm really enjoying your adventure and keep the pictures coming. Talk with you later in the week-end....Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete