University of Leeds

University of Leeds

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Liverpool Trip

Last Saturday, January 30, I went on a day trip to Liverpool. The trip was organized by the International Centre at my school. There were six buses that held about 45 students each, that's around 270+ international students! It took about 2 hours to get to Liverpool from Leeds, so what I did I do on the bus ride there? SLEEP of course!

When we first arrived (Cat, Courtney, and I) to the Albert Docks we scattered around to find our friends amongst the couple hundred students. It wasn't hard because Americans seem to travel in packs and are easily spotted. On the bus we were given a booklet that listed touristy sites in Liverpool and a map. Our first stop was the Liverpool Cathedral. This Church had amazing architecture and detail and it is the largest Cathedral in England. When you go inside you would assume the entire structure was ages old but it took from year 1901-1978 to finish it. So most of it is only 30 years old. We could have gone up in the Cathedral's tower but it cost 3 pounds. Nathan, a guy from New York, was the only one to go to the top so I let him take my camera (the pictures came out great!).

After our tour of the Liverpool Cathedral we went on a search for food. It is always difficult to agree on a place to eat with a group of 10 college students. We ended up going to an Irish pub that was pretty delicious. Speaking of pubs, it is ridiculous how many pubs are in England, it seems like every other restaurant is a bar!

Once our tummies were full we headed to the main attraction of the day... the Beatles Story Museum! To tell you the truth, I wasn't too thrilled about paying 7.50 pounds to learn about a band I had very little interest in. Luckily I came to my senses and went for the experience... honestly what is Liverpool without the Beatles? I was definitely impressed by the museum. Each person had a headset and a MP3 player that guided them through the Beatles Story. I thought it was a great concept because you could listen, look, and read at the same time!

Soon after the Beatles, we walked around the Albert Docks and went to the Tate Art Museum. It was full of modern art and therefore pretty strange. Eh, it was just another learning experience to add to my list.

It was great to venture outside of Leeds but I don't plan on going back to Liverpool anytime soon. Been there, done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment